Getting Married Over Thanksgiving Weekend Tips and Ideas
While Thanksgiving is a time of year that people look forward to spending time with loved ones, Thanksgiving Weekend Weddings have their advantages and disadvantages. One big advantage is that people will be traveling into town for the holiday. One disadvantage is that people will be traveling out of town for the holiday.
We recently found an article posted on yahoo.com concerning ideas for brides having a Thanksgiving Weekend wedding. We thought it would be appropriate to share with you.
Thanksgiving weekend is traditionally a time to enjoy family and friends, who will be happy to share in the joy of the newlywed couple on their special wedding day. The late fall season is time of family gatherings and celebration of the harvest. Following are some tips and suggestions for couples planning a Thanksgiving weekend wedding.
1. Traditionally, Thanksgiving has been a four day weekend for working people, but his is not as true as it used to be. Many businesses, including offices, service industries and retail stores require employees to return to work on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Do not assume that everyone will be able to travel on this holiday weekend. Consider the availability of the guests closest to the bride and groom when planning the wedding day.
2. Announce the date for the wedding as early as possible, so that guests can make their plans. Send out an announcement or write guests individually to let them know that an invitation will be forthcoming, so that they can save the date and make necessary advance plans. Understand that not all guests will be able to attend the holiday weekend wedding. There will always be schedule conflicts, not matter what date you choose. Thanksgiving is traditionally a time for family gatherings. Some people will just not be able to attend, so do not get hurt feelings if guests decline the invitation.
3. Reserve the church and reception facility as early as possible. This is always advisable when planning a wedding.
4. Choose a color theme for the wedding. Harvest colors of gold, orange, rust, brown, plum, burgundy and green are popular choices for a fall wedding. There are really no limits on the color choice for an autumn wedding, but rich deep colors or bright colors coordinate with the season best. An elegant look can be achieved with light colors or ivory or cream, highlighted by deeper colors for accent.
5. The bride’s dress offers chance for the bride to really shine on this joyous occasion. Fashion choices are endless for the stylish bride. Fabric can be a heavy brocade, lush velvet or beautiful ivory lace. Lightweight silk is another great fabric choice.
6. Avoid chills by wearing a shoulder wrap or cape. The bride should have a pretty shoulder wrap, velvet scarf, or cape; to ward off chill, especially if the dress has bare shoulders or a low neckline.
7. Bridesmaid dresses in rich autumn hues are a stylish, elegant choice. The dresses may be accented with lush velvet or brocade fabrics. Like the bride, the bridesmaids should have some kind of wrap to cover the shoulders.
8. Grooms and Groomsmen. The groom and men in wedding party may wear tuxedos of black or dark gray. In a less formal wedding, consider brown or tan suits for the men.
9. Flowers in colorful bouquets and centerpieces add beauty to the atmosphere. According to The Knot, the hottest trend in fall wedding flowers is lush, richly hued arrangements filled with a variety of interesting textures. Use a wide mix of flowers that coordinate with the wedding color scheme. Mums and dahlias are fall blooms that come a a vanity of hues to complement with the wedding color scheme. Of course, roses are a classic choice that look great any season.
10. Centerpieces. Instead of glass vases, consider using plants as centerpieces.Succulent plants are a popular landscaping trends that can be worked into their wedding table centerpieces. Succulents come in fall hues, like aubergine, pomegranate and cactus green. These unique plants mix easily with flowers.
11. Wedding Favors. Have fun with wedding favors, using the fall theme. Unique fall favor ideas include caramel apples, mini maple syrup bottles,Maple sugar candies, mixed nuts or candied pecans in tiny baskets, apple cider mix, and apple butter packaged in mini jars.
12. Unless the wedding is on Thanksgiving Day itself, the menu should not include turkey. Many guests will have had their fill of turkey by the day after the holiday. If having the reception is at a banquet hall, or restaurant, the banquet manager should be able to advise about the fall menu. Some suggestions for a fall theme includes starter of squash or pumpkin soup. If a starter of a salad is desired, embellish it with walnuts, pumpkin seeds, apple slices or rich aged cheddar. Classic main courses include salmon and/or steak. Some more unusual main dish choices include Cornish hens and rack of lamb.
13. Offer warming beverages, such as hot apple cider. Some people do not drink alcohol, so offer them a seasonal beverage in addition the more commonly offered coffee, such as a hot cocoa bar.
14. Fall wedding cake. Consider a unique flavor of the fall season, by picking a pumpkin cake, carrot cake or spice cake. Chocolate cake is always popular and is a rich flavor that is perfect for autumn. White or ivory colored icing accented with rich fall colors is lovely. Decorate the cake with colored floral or autumn leave designs in fall hues, such as yellow, red and burnt orange.
15. Decorate the entry with a fall theme. Fall decorations at the entry way set the mood for the Thanksgiving harvest theme. Cornstalks, Indian corn and pumpkins can be placed next to the door for a welcoming display.
Enjoy your many blessings on your Thanksgiving wedding. Best wishes to the bride and groom!
Article originally posted on Yahoo Voices.com written by Christine Bude Nyholm